Ok, so as many people are already aware I recently started to do the at-home workouts called "PiYo".
What is PiYo?
PiYo combines the muscle-sculpting, core-firming benefits of Pilates with the strength and flexibility advantages of yoga.
What I got when I ordered it?
- 3 Blu-ray Discs (each with 3 or 4 different workouts on them)
- workout calendar (see below)
- nutrition guide
- measuring tape (for before and after)
- Beachbody coach (this is FREE!)
My thoughts on the program:
I'm pretty skeptical with these at-home workouts programs, as I either find the videos boring and/or the instructors super annoying (and I want to kick my TV screen).
The program starts out by getting you to know all of the basic movements, this includes a lot of yoga movements and poses, proper pushups and some really great core strengthening moves. Each day you only have to commit to ONE workout per day (they vary in time from roughly 25mins - 50mins)... who doesn't have time for that?!?!?
The best part of the videos was that it wasn't BORING at all. I felt constantly challenged, and excited to keep going.
The first week was definitely challenging! I felt like my arms, shoulders, glutes, thighs and abs were going to explode! After only 2 weeks I already see results!! It's nuts!! I am a believer: PiYo works!
What can I say??
Let me start with the reasons why I really like the program:
1. It is challenging for all fitness levels: you can really adapt this program to anyone. And YOU decide how far you will push yourself. You decide how deep you go in a squat or a lunge, you decide whether you will hold that plank, or do those extra tricep pushups... it is truly adaptable for anyone! And it definitely pushed me outside of my comfort zone.
2. The instructor (Chalene Johnson) is AMAZING!! She can guide you through an entire workout without you even looking up at the screen once! She explains everything clearly and easily, and she might be the coolest chick EVER (ok, I don't know her.. BUT I WANT TO!)
3. Every workout is different. Yes, there are some of the same movements (sun salutations etc), but each day is uniquely challenging. I can see myself doing this every day for A LONG LONG TIME!
4. The Calendar: it is easy to follow and keeps me motivated. (I actually printed out some from online so I can take notes on each day's workout and how I felt).
5. Through Beachbody you are assigned a coach for FREE! I just so happens my friend Flo Barnes-Zurkinden is a Beachbody coach, so I get to work with her. Through this I got into a great support group, where we share our daily workouts, nutrition and goals. It's really great!
** I highly recommend this program to EVERYONE!!! ***
I will be posting another review in 2 weeks (I'm currently 2 weeks into the program).
I already feel stronger!!