Friday, September 2, 2016
"Meatless Balls" (vegan)
It's hard to find a good vegan meatball... wait, that sounds weird... meat-less ball! I find that the store bought ones lack OUMFF! They are bland and boring, NOT FOR ME! I also hate when they are packed with crap, and lacking on the nutrients. It took me a few tries to get these right, but I really feel like they're exactly what I was after, so ENJOY!
For the Meatless Balls:
1 cup cold (can be old) brown rice (can use half quinoa, half rice)
1 cup finely diced sweet potato (I cheat and wisk it around my food processor)
8 oz mushroom, chopped (again, food processor)
1 medium onion, chopped (yup, food processor - seeing a pattern here?)
2 cloves garlic
handfull of basil
2tsp cayenne (1 if you don't like heat)
salt + pepper
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup+ 2tbs flour (I use either spelt or whole wheat)
1tsp oil + more for frying
For spicy tomato cashew cream sauce:
1 cup cashews (soaked in warm water)
1 cup tomatoes (I use grape or cherry tomatoes)
1 cayenne or spicy pepper - finely chopped
5 leafs of basil
salt + pepper
1. Heat 1tsp of oil in pan over med-low heat
2. Add sweet potato, mushroom and onion, cook until onion starts to turn translucent - add garlic, cook another 3 mins, stirring frequently.
3. remove from heat and place into food processor - don't turn on yet!
4. add your cold rice (or rice and quinoa mix) - now pulse the food processor gently, you don't want mush! Your aim is to mix it well, but not pulverize the rice! Be kind ;)
5. toss in your basil, cayenne and salt and pepper, pulse a few times to combine
6. add the breadcrumbs and flour, pulse again! (to test, I take a small amount and form into a ball... does it stick? If yes, you're good-to-go! If no, add a touch more flour, pulse again, test again!)
7. Form all mixture into balls and place on a plate (or a cutting board)
8. Heat 2tsp of oil in a NON-STICK pan over medium heat - wait for it to be FULLY HEATED OR YOUR BALLS WILL BE SOGGY - EWWWWWWWWW
9. Gently place the balls into the oil, give them a little squish down with a fork or spatula
10. cook for about 5-7 mins, until golden brown, then flip! do the same on the other side!
11. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel for a few mins
While those are cooking:
1. toss cashews with 1 cup of the water into food processor (I use my smoothie cup blender)
2. ... wait for it...
3. keep blending
4. BOOM - cashew cream! YOU WANT IT TO BE THICK!!!
5. Add your tomatoes, basil, cayenne, salt and pepper
6. blend for a few mins, scrape down the sides as you go!
7. try not to eat it all before the balls are done!
* serve balls with sauce and top with some fresh arugula! YUMMMMMMMM!!!