Thursday, September 1, 2016
Vegan Potato and Broccoli Fritters
See, herein lies the problem. I NEVER write anything down, I wing all my meals! I love cooking, I always have. I never follow recipes, I always CREATE my own yummy little vegan dishes.
STARTING TODAY I WILL BE BLOGGING MY FOOD CREATIONS! (I will do my best)
Today's recipe started with Corey and I buying WAAAAAAY too many potatoes (is that even possible?!?!? YUP!) So I decided to whip up some potato fritters... but then I got thinking "geesh, that's boring as heck..." I wanted to up the health factor with some greens, and didn't want them to be bland or boring. What's green and delicious, and makes Corey (my hubby) go "ewwwwwww"? - Broccoli!! Yup, must add that.
Here is the recipe:
3 cups shredded white potato
1 cup shredded broccoli
1 small onion shredded or finely chopped
1/4 cup + 2 tbs spelt flour or whole wheat flour
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbs nutritional yeast
salt + pepper to taste
1tsp oil (I used coconut)
1. place shredded white potato in a strainer and squeeze the CRAP OUT OF IT! get the excess water out!
2. transfer to a bowl and combine with the broccoli and onion, mix well
3. add your flour - mix well
4. add all seasoning - taste it... yummmm raw potato ;)
5. Heat oil in non-stick pan and pre-heat oven to 425 degrees (I used pastry brush to spread the oil, cause you don't need a lot of oil!)
6. Form mix into patties, remember to squeeze out excess water as you form them!!
7. place patties into pan and press down with a spatula to ensure even cooking
8. after 3 mins or when golden brown - flip those puppies!!
9. transfer into oven when both sides are brown, give then about 8 mins in the oven :)
10. Top with fresh arugula... cause it's the bomb.com!!! YUMMERS!!
EAT! And tell your spouse afterwards that they were loaded with broccoli goodness!!! Muahahaha!!